top of page

Where does it show on the Home Office/UKBA website that a property inspection report is required for UK Entry Clearance Visa and Settlement applications?


Please refer to page 3 under ‘Accommodation details’ in Home Office/UKBA Guide to supporting documents: settlement in the link below.


Q. Who needs a property inspection report for UK entry clearance visa and settlement purposes?


A property inspection report is required for all applications leading to/for the purposes of settlement, these are:

  • Spouse(s) and civil partners;

  • Fiancé(e)s and proposed civil partner;

  • Unmarried and same-sex partners;

  • Children;

  • Parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives.


Q. Why does the Home Office/UKBA require a property (or housing accommodation) inspection report?


It is essential to demonstrate that the Applicant(s) will have no further need to be re-housed once in the UK.  The Sponsor needs to provide evidence that they have the funds to maintain and accommodate the Applicant(s) without recourse to public funds.  The Home Office/UKBA must be satisfied that the Sponsor can house the Applicant(s) in accommodation that will not become statutorily overcrowded under the provisions of Part X of the Housing Act 1985 and that the accommodation is safe and fit for human habitation under Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.


Q. What information do you require from me?


Before we come to inspect the accommodation you must complete an application form.  The following information will be required to support the application:


  • Name, date of birth and passport/reference number of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK;

  • Copy of a tenancy agreement or proof of ownership of the property;

  • Name and date of birth of other occupants in the property to be inspected; and

  • Current Gas Safe Certificate for the property (if rented).

Further details of the information required can be found on the application form 

Q. What do you check during the accommodation inspection?


The inspector will measure every room in the accommodation to ensure the property will not become statutorily overcrowded under Part X of the Housing Act 1985 and has sufficient space to accommodate both the current occupiers and any additional people who propose to live there after UK entry clearance or settlement is granted.

The property will also be inspected internally and externally using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) covered by Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.

You will be asked to show the inspector around the whole property, outlining who occupies the property and which rooms they sleep in.  When the inspection is completed you will be supplied with a report which will state:

  • Your name and the name(s) of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK;

  • The address of the property inspected;

  • Who owns and who occupies the property;

  • How the property is occupied and by whom;

  • Whether the property is suitable for any potential occupier or visitor at the time of our inspection;

  • Whether the property would be overcrowded by the addition of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK.


Q. How long does the report last?


The report lasts for 3 months from the date it is issued.


Q. Can you back date the report?


No, the report date cannot change under any circumstances.  A new inspection will need to be carried out.


Q. What happens when I submit my application form?


A survey of the property will only be arranged when the completed application form and fee has been received.  If you wish to keep a copy of your application, please do so before submitting them to us.

You will then be contacted to arrange a mutually convenient time for an inspector to visit and inspect the property.

The Inspector will attend your property.  They will measure the bedroom sizes and check the condition of the property for any defects using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

The Inspector will then tell you if the property is suitable for the person to inhabit the property.

Within the next 2-3 working days you will receive your report for the Immigration Authorities via first class post.


Q. What happens if I need another copy of my Report?


If a replacement report, amendments or an additional report is needed, we will provide you with an additional/replacement copy for a fee of £15 (which will be sent by Royal Mail First Class Delivery).  It is worth noting that the letter will not be re-dated, and will be marked as a copy of the original report issued.  If a re-dated report is needed, this will require a new application for a report and subsequent fee and inspection.  There is a reduced charge of £50 for this inspection and report.


Please note that the UK Border Agency will not accept reports that are greater than 12 weeks old.


Q. What happens if my property does not meet the housing standards?


If the dwelling does not meet the requirements of the UK Border Agency, we will issue a report for ‘unsatisfactory’ housing conditions for the purposes of Entry Clearance into the UK. Within the unsatisfactory report, we will inform the applicant/sponsor of the reasons why an unsatisfactory accommodation report has been issued.  If the matters arising, noted within the unsatisfactory report are resolved, we will re-inspect the property and providing that nothing else has changed, we will issue a report informing that the property is suitable.  The charge for this report is £50.


Q. Can I use the lounge as a bedroom?


If you have two separate lounges partitioned with a solid wall and individual doors from the hallway you can class one as a bedroom.  If there are dividing doors or have a walk-through lounge you cannot use it as a bedroom.


Q. Can my child share mine and my spouses/partner’s room?


Only very young children can, up to the age of 1 year old but they must be the biological or adoptive parent.

bottom of page