top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where does it show on the Home Office/UKBA website that a property inspection report is required for UK Entry Clearance Visa and Settlement applications?


Please refer to page 3 under ‘Accommodation details’ in Home Office/UKBA Guide to supporting documents.


Q. Who needs a property inspection report for UK entry clearance visa and settlement purposes?


A property inspection report is required for all applications leading to/for the purposes of settlement, these are:

  • Spouse(s) and civil partners;

  • Fiancé(e)s and proposed civil partner;

  • Unmarried and same-sex partners;

  • Children;

  • Parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives.


Q. Why does the Home Office/UKBA require a property (or housing accommodation) inspection report?


It is essential to demonstrate that the Applicant(s) will have no further need to be re-housed once in the UK.  The Sponsor needs to provide evidence that they have the funds to maintain and accommodate the Applicant(s) without recourse to public funds.  The Home Office/UKBA must be satisfied that the Sponsor can house the Applicant(s) in accommodation that will not become statutorily overcrowded under the provisions of Part X of the Housing Act 1985 and that the accommodation is safe and fit for human habitation under Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.


Q. What information do you require from me?


Before we come to inspect the accommodation you must complete an application form. The following information will be required to support the application:


  • Name, date of birth and NI number of the sponsor.

  • Name, date of birth and passport reference number of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK;

  • Copy of a tenancy agreement or proof of ownership of the property;

  • Name and date of birth of other occupants in the property to be inspected;

  • Current Gas Safe Certificate for the property (if rented).

Further details of the information required can be found on the application form.

Q. What is checked during the inspection?


The inspector will measure the accommodation to ensure the property will not become statutorily overcrowded under Part X of the Housing Act 1985 and has sufficient space to accommodate both the current occupiers and any additional people who propose to live there after UK entry clearance or settlement is granted.

The property will also be inspected using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) covered by Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.

You will be asked to show the inspector around the whole property, outlining who occupies the property and which rooms they sleep in.  When the inspection is completed you will be supplied with a report via first class post which will state:

  • Sponsors details and those of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK;

  • The address and description of the property inspected;

  • Who owns and who occupies the property;

  • Whether the property is free from Category 1 hazards and poses any H&S risks at the time of our inspection;

  • Whether the property would be overcrowded by the addition of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK.


Q. How long does the report last?


The report is valid for 3 months from the date it is issued.


Q. What happens if I need another copy of my Report?


If a replacement report or amendments are needed, we will provide you with a copy for a fee of £10 (which will be sent by Royal Mail First Class Delivery).  It is worth noting that the letter will not be re-dated.  


Please note that the UK Border Agency will not accept reports that are greater than 12 weeks old.


Q. Can I use the lounge as a bedroom?


If you have two separate lounges partitioned with a solid wall and individual doors from the hallway you can class one as a bedroom.  If there are dividing doors or have a walk-through lounge you cannot use it as a bedroom.


UK home office border immigration agency
bottom of page